Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day After Disaster Virtual Podcast Tour, Behind the Scenes: Sending requests and getting responses


Virtual Podcast Tour: Sending Requests, My first try

I was excited to get started on this amazing tour. I had all of my marketing materials prepared, my website ready with my updated media page, and my pitch letter ready to go. It was time to find some podcasts and delight them with the awesome opportunity to interview me, which is a little awkward to say the least. My ITunes application blasted open on my PC browser alight with potential podcasts to fill the dates of my podcast tour. I found a few podcasts that had content that was outside of my wheel house but that I could easily mold my concepts in my novel, Day After Disaster to. Then, I found a couple of fiction book podcasts. I ended my search with six survival podcasts. My search was pretty random, besides searching the survival key word, I was just looking for any show that appeared to have an interesting message that was in line with my own. I listened to a couple while I was researching more and after gathering up the names of at least twelve podcasts and ways to contact their producers I was off to my next step, actually contacting them.

I quickly found out that this was not going to be an easy task on ITunes. Sometimes when I selected the link that was supposed to take me to a website it was a site that was setup especially for the podcast withing a podcasting platform that seemed to be separate from their actual website.  Full of determination I navigated my way around the web, only to find that most of the time these people would like to be contacted via contact form. My carefully prepared email format wasn't going to cut it. I altered the format to fit contact forms and continued on. Now that I have contacted twelve podcasts all there is to do is sit back and wait for the replies, right?

Lessons Learned:
  • Searching ITunes for shows is easy but finding their contact information is sometimes a challenge.
  • Many of the primary contacts you make will be via contact form. Make sure your initial pitch looks good in that format as well.
Hot Tips:
  • Have a few key terms in mind and a strategy before you start searching so your efforts are not so random.
  • If the ITunes link does not take you directly to the hosts website, try just searching for it in your browser. A lot of times it is the fastest way to find a host to contact.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Virtual Podcast Tour: Responses

I got a yes response! After sending out my twelve inquiries I received one yes and one no but at least the person who said no had the decency to contact me back, unlike most of the other inquires I sent. I had also hit up my Facebook groups to see what kind of interviews I could drum amongst my peers and got 2 positive responses from there as well!

The major response I heard back from was from James Talmage Stevens aka. Dr. Prepper to appear on his Preparedness Radio Network. I had just finished a meeting with some of my girl friends to get ready to participate in the Dirty Girl Run for Cancer. This meeting was at the bar and I had two drinks while I was there. When I got home it was late and I was feeling unusually relaxed (I'm not much of a drinker) but I realized I had missed a call from James about fifteen minutes before so I decided what the heck and I called him back. James was impressed with the fact that I did call him back. He said it reflected my hunger and also he wanted to connect via telephone before agreeing to the interview because a podcast is a talk show and just contacting via email before hand is not efficient. James had checked out my website and was blown away by how professional it looked and the amount of effort I had devoted to marketing my book. We agreed to exchange books with one another because this host was actually going to read my book before he interviewed me (which is highly unusual)! I got off the phone two hours later elated to appear on a podcast that has been downloaded over 3.5 million times.

Lessons Learned:
  • If you receive an opportunity, grab it! Getting on a podcast is very competitive and if you miss your chance you may not get it again.
  • Understand that you will not hear back from most shows. They are very busy and receive tons of requests. Send another request about a week after your first and if you don't hear from them, let it go. 

Hot Tips:
  • Make sure you listen to the podcast you applied to before you talk with the host. If you don't you will be left feeling unprepared and embarrassed.
  • If you find a show that you really liked but they haven't contacted you back, keep listening and be thankful that your search has yielded you a positive side effect. You never know what the future will bring.
  • Be prepared to email, talk, or make contact however you can in order to snatch up an opportunity.

Are You Interested In Going on Your Own Virtual Podcast Tour?  http://podcastingsuccesssecrets.com

http://podcastingsuccesssecrets.com/virtual-podcast-tours-webinar-doug-and-dvorah/

Related Articles:


Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook: http://authorsarafhathaway.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-daily-survival-essential-doctor.html


Day After Disaster: Virtual Podcast Tour, The Tada Moment and Getting Ready to Go: http://authorsarafhathaway.blogspot.com/2015/05/day-after-disaster-virtual-podcast-tour.html

Sara F. Hathaway
Sara F. Hathaway is the author of the The Changing Earth Series: Day After Disaster and Without Land. She also hosts The Changing Earth Podcast which blends her fictional stories with educational survival tips. Sara grew up in the country where she developed a profound interest in the natural world around her. After graduating with honors from The California State University of Sacramento with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, she launched into a career in business management. In her fictional novels her research and experience with survival techniques and forgotten life-sustaining methods of the generations past come to the forefront in a action packed adventures. She has used her background in business management to pave new roads for fictional authors to follow and she delights in helping other achieve the same success. She currently lives with her husband and two sons in California where she is at work on the sequel to her first two novels. For more information and a free copy of “The Go-Bag Essentials” featuring everything you need to have to leave your home in a disaster visit: www.authorsarafhathaway.com
Purchase Without Land
Purchase Day After Disaster


 

No comments:

Post a Comment